The Children's Heart Program at UTHSCSA is a fully integrated group which brings together multidisciplinary specialists from many units. Together, we strive to provide the best of care to all patients. We believe that the most successful program to be one where all care providers within the program work together to achieve outstanding results. In doing so, the cardiology team, cardiothoracic surgeons, anesthesiologists, perfusionists, neonatal and pediatric intensive care specialists and nurses throughout all of these groups work in concert to treat a child throughout hospitalization. Each of these groups have cardiac specialists who provide coverage and specialty care 24 hours a day.
Some of our specialized features include:
- Dedicated medical and surgical intensive care units.
- Dedicated neonatal and pediatric teams available 24 hours a day to transport critically ill newborns and children.
- A state-of-the-art cardiac cath lab specially designed for children.
- Intensive Care Unit Specialized in the Care of neonates, infants and adolescents with congenital heart disease
- Cardiac ECHO lab accredited by the Intersocietal Commission for the Accreditation of Echocardiography Laboratories (ICAEL)
- Research in patient safety and quality initiatives
The providers at the Children's Heart Program at UHTSCSA offer the unique combination of extensive practical experience, research, and teaching. Our surgeons provide the most advanced therapeutic options for the treatment of congenital and other pediatric heart conditions for children with even the most complex cardiac problems.
Patients benefit from a full range of services in one location. Our all-inclusive approach allows for seamless admission, surgical, postoperative recovery and discharge processes. And it enables us to provide the best environment possible for the comfort and care of patients and their families.